Wednesday 24 October 2012

Samoan Youth Camp

Before I begin to tell you of the experience I have had from being invited to be with the Samoan youth camp and be the Saturday night guest speaker. I will tell you, if you have not figured out from my previous posts, I walk a different path then most people and think deeply about many things people simply walk past and never see. When people look straight and see nothing else I see past the tunnel vision and look around and walk else where. I am no one special nor am I normal in any sense of the word. In all reality, the definition of normal does not even apply to the last three generations. I am who God has molded me to be.
Saturday, October 20th I arrived at the Marae in Otara where Samoans have gathered for to teach and open their children's minds to God's purpose. There were around 60 to 80 youth there from the ages of 10 to their early 20's. Because the location is a Marae it is a scared location by the Maori people and when entering the big house all shoes must be kept outside. The youth were accompanied by elders of the Church, as is their culture applies to keeping their language and their high respect with in their families. They are a proud people group. So, being the only person that knew English and no Samoan language I sometimes found translators or I watch body language to tell me the story. I got the chance to sit down with each Pastor and know him and his thoughts in theology. I sat down with several youth I knew from other services and talked with them and their thoughts. When entering the congregation I was given the honor to sit with the Pastors ahead of everyone. Unfortunately that was near the music of drums, guitar, piano, and chorus and my headaches did not love me one bit. Soon the service was over and my ears were ringing but I loved the rhythm and loved the harmony, we all took a break for tea. I assumed tea meant tea. Tea means in New Zealand another meal with tea. I observed others and watched their body language and learned that Pastors enter and sit down and other people bring food and rinks to them. I was taken back by this and tried to show my respect to both sides the Pastors and those who gave me my food. Once I was done with one plate I pushed it away another plate was being offered and they take it as an insult if you do not accept it.
 To say the least I have never eaten so much since I have been in New Zealand. New and different foods but each had its flavor and tasted good in its designed context.  The committee host found me and we discussed my experience with youth and soon I helped create games. However, my face got really burned I guess having Irish in me does not help my skin against the sun...lol
My turn to speak and I started with an ice-breaker the game called, 'I have never'. I made all the youth come forward and create a large circle pushing everyone else back. In this game one person tells one thing they have never done and if anyone who is sitting down has done that thing they need to change their seat. The person with no chair will speak about something they have never done. I was working fine but many of the youth I believe did not understand the idea or did not want to show what they have done. After the ice-breaker I asked the youth to bring their chairs closer in and tighten the circle. Now I had all the youth surrounding me and everyone else behind us. I asked two questions...
1) What is one thing you are scared of?
Many said it was snakes and spiders while 4 or so men said they fear nothing. I added to it a fear of mine was to lose my senses.
2) What is your idea of heaven?
Happiness, no pain, white clothes, angels, etc..
I changed the motion as I communicated with them that my fear became my reality and gave them my testimony about my headaches. Asking them to imagine unable to speak or move because both cause vibrations that cause headaches to worsen. Imagine wanting to scream from the constant drilling inside your mind but know you can not because it will only hurt you more so you are trapped in your body like a prison cell and the only way to communicate your pain is through tears. How do you think you would feel when no one can help you? (I choose at this moment to spare the rest of my testimony, if you want to know please ask)
My testimony changed into Christian living and how scripture teaches us to be gentle, humble, patient, unity in spirit, seeking the will of God, and be not conformed to the world but transform it as we are each ambassadors of Christ.
After I finished my sermon a few Pastors told me they liked my style and my words and one wants me to preach at his Church later some time. I was allowed to sleep in the Marae with all the youth and some adults I was placed on the ladies side but sleep did not come to me. The youth did not find slumber till 12:00am but the heavy breathing was like being on a safari. I believe in it all I had a hour of sleep. The next day brought Sunday service and a Baptism service scheduled for 4 people. God's presence was there and He flowed into that room and soon 4 became 26. Praise be to God where all boasting belongs and glory is deserved. 
Sunday night I slept in the vehicle I was given by my mentor and I got a few hours of sleep in there but when I past by the Marae I could still hear the echos of the heavy breathing (aka snoring).
Monday brought with it exhaustion and the youth were sad their time was over with new friends. I stayed until the last ceremony and left for sleep but found Sarah (365m student). We discussed our different experiences over the weekend and soon we separated like two passing cars. I took a shower to keep me wake and headed back out to teach English to two Vietnamese families. I arrived and no one was there but I was lead across the other side and started a conversation with Ben and his wife and we talked for 2 hours. God leads me to many places.







































No comments:

Post a Comment