Monday 15 October 2012

A Journey in God's direction

I arrived at the Takanini Church. Observed the people who walk past the Church in their routine and established my direction. But in beginning my prayer walk that day I was lead in a different direction. I ended up visiting the police station and talking to the gentleman there as he knew me as, "The Pastor down the road". I acknowledged any references to the title and to the location of the Church. Soon, I was walking again and as I turned the corner I saw organized chaos. A flood of children on the sidewalks coming at me, like a comedy of someone who can not get out of the way of a steamroller. I felt like the one fish that refused to swim with the others down stream. I have my direction and yet in this flood of innocence it was interesting to see the bonds. Certain children connected as they ran towards the playground while others found snacks to fill their mouths from the over crowding of the Dairy store. Some yelled for their friends to wait for them and some walked hand to hand. As I swam through the flood of children I finally got to the corner and I was free. I was walking again and suddenly I heard, "Yeah Pastor!"
I turned to see Dave, whom I have not seen for a few weeks now, as he stood at his front door. I walked over and greeted him and welcomed me inside his home. There I met his cousin and we began to discuss many things as they played a video game. The questions of why I am here, the events planned by the Church, the future events for the next year, and then it came to my faith. "Which god do you worship?" I answered, "I worship God the Father, creator of heaven and the earth. I worship His son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit...the Trinity". Dave retorts, "The Trinity?". Dave's cousin asked, "who is Jesus?...oh is he the guy who was like..." As he extends his arms as if on the cross to show me what he can not say in words. I acknowledge it but a great pause comes. The silence of three thinking minds and little ventilation could have caused the house to become inflamed. Dave gets close in his couch to me maybe a few inches from my face and asks, "Are you on a mission from God?" I paused to think of rewording his question and looked from his expression to see he was serious. I answered, "Yes".
We talked for 2 hours and soon I saw it was time for me to leave when the question was asked, "What kind of Pastor are you? Are you the kind that smokes weed?" I smirked. "No, I do not smoke weed, I do not drink, nor do I do any drugs". I realized the smell I could not identify was the smell I knew from walking past drug houses in Cleveland, Ohio. I stood and told them it is time I continue my walk and shook their hands in my departing and walked back into the light of the sun.
Tonight, was my first night of teaching English to two Vietnamese families. The first home the woman is to sick to learn so I ask my readers to keep her in your prayers. The second a young single mother of three. I sit on her couch waiting to start the class as her adorable 6 year old climbs all over me. She tells me, "I want a new daddy". I answered without breaking up laughing "well that is good to know".  As the night progressed the little girl stayed all over me and ended up falling asleep in my lap. It gave me a feeling of how it will be with my own kids. After the class was done I was welcomed to eat with them, an honor I took in a humble manner.
I left their home and walked to the Church to jump into my vehicle and head back to my mentor's home. But the lights were on in the Church. I open the door and the Samoan leaders welcome me in with food and soda. A time of good discussion and filled laughter I found 3 hours went by and I was still talking about my experiences in ministry. As the women started turning the lights off we understood it was time to finish our conversation. I walk back outside and it was dark out and the temperature had changed. I have been gone for over 8 hours and each direction I wanted to take lead me in another location where I was needed.That day was a long day but that day was a blessing to be used in God's ministry. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment