Friday 12 October 2012

Reflection #3

Today is filled with rain and strong winds that would make me feel like a kite with the hope that the string I am attached will not break. But the other day, a few days back I went for a walk through the park. I observed and watched people's interactions. I entered the walk with a heavy coat on because here spring was close to ending but till it does the weather springs up differently all the time. The meaning of having four seasons in one day. I have adapted to the weather by wearing layers of clothing. On my walk I could hear water falling, you can hear the rushing water the distance from the gap of the top to the bottom. I finally caught a glimpse of it and watched. I soon continued on as my eyes caught the same stream flowing through the park. I walked through a playground and found a trail leading me to the stream once more. I came to a small bridge and saw a boy throwing rocks in the stream to watch them splash.
I watched the water and it came to me today in my time to reflection of that symbolism.
Take the example of your life being a mess and no clarity can be found. It feels like the world is against you and chaos has been your new best friend. I saw into that stream an answer into my own clarity. I saw how the water was clear and focused but when the mud was stirred the water can not be seen through any longer. The bad things of the world are creating the mess. But by separating or allowing the mud to settle can the water be clear. A concept of a mediating moment, water can not be clear unless the mud settles on the bottom. Therefore, in our own lives the mess needs to be put down so one can see the clarity in their direction.
I thought about this concept for a little longer as many times water has been a gateway into the insights of my mind. I thought about a person's spiritual life not being clear and then I thought about water. I watched the boy drop the rock into the flowing waters and still saw chaos. A pebble can cause a ripple effect on the surface of the water. The surface of the water representing one's spiritual life can be active and going going going but never stopping to see where God wants you. But if the person stops, waits, and listens they will see the ripple calm and the water begin to reflect the world. The clarity is restored.
Both thoughts one of chaos and one of activities that can cause a person's life to be crazy. However, with patience comes focus and we can see better the action's of God. Letting the mud settle or the ripple calm comes with patience and prayer and the affect is maturity in knowing God is in control.
My friend Dave and I years ago spoke of 'the pool theory' I formulated as he cultivated the idea of writing a book on the subject of God's guidance in Christian relationships. One of these days I will talk about it but for now. Take a deep breath and learn patience (remember to exhale).

No comments:

Post a Comment