Saturday 18 May 2013

The longest Wednesday of my life

Wednesday, May 15th 2013...

I woke up before 3:00am and got dressed in relaxing clothes because I knew the journey before me. This started the day as I walked to the front of the house from my room I have stayed in for over five months. I walked away from that room where I found peace and quit. Where I found relaxation and entertainment in rented videos and sleep. Where I researched and studied for the time I was there. I walked away from that room knowing I will never be back to that room again, at least not in the form it was when I left.
Entering the airport I discovered was interesting as I prepared myself to give my two bags away hoping they would make it to Texas and I took one care-on with me. I filled in paperwork as the next location was Sydney. Soon I was in the plane from Auckland, New Zealand where I sat next to the emergency exit giving me plenty of leg room to Sydney.
3 Hours later I made it to Sydney and had to go through security and I was randomly picked to have another security check on me and my carry-on. I sat in my terminal and waited for the next flight to Texas for six hours and soon I was on the next plane. I was given the last seat in the back of the plane where large metal were well placed between my feet. There I stayed for over 15 hours of flight unable to hear any movie playing because the loud sound of the engine. I tried to find sleep but it kept running from me like a frightened kitten. There were several people going to Texas for the racing there and in between their little bottles of alcohol they spoke of their highlights in witnessing the racing. Their love was loud and the frightened kitten called sleep stayed away from me.
Finally arriving in Texas I had to produce my passport and my reason for coming to the USA. Then I had to go through security where after I was hand picked to have another security check done. After getting my tickets for Kansas City I delivered my two bags off hoping they would make it to Kansas City as well. I went through another security section. I got past all of the security and I had to ride a train to my terminal where I waited for four hours for my flight.
Finally I got on my last plane and flew for over hour and forty-five minutes to reach Kansas City where I walked outside and found two of my roommates. It was good to see them and I hugged them for seeing familiar faces from the sea of unknowns to me. I got my two bags and we left to find my new apartment. It was 7:20pm still on Wednesday.
I was shown the new place and wanted to get some sleep but still that frightened kitten would not come to me so my roommate and I went for my vehicle.
It felt alien to me as the steering wheel was on the left side and getting into it felt like it was new to me. As I started it up the smell of 8 month old gas filled the air around us as I drove a few hundred feet to the old apartment to get my bed and clothes. I was quickly reminded that I was driving on the wrong side of the road.
When the bed was made and the clothes were thrown to the side I looked for things I brought for my roommates to realize one of them were stolen. At least it was one of them that disappeared as those two bags flew from New Zealand to Kansas city. I laid my head down after 11:00pm and tossed and turned until waking up at 7:00am on Thursday. Finally its not Wednesday any more.

What a trip to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment