Monday 7 January 2013

One step forward two steps back

It has been a while since I last wrote. I have been busy with the holiday season and finally have time to discuss the steps taken and others that have been missed.

In New Zealand it is important to point out Christmas is a time when the country stops. Stores will close and jobs will stop some times till January 11th. Therefore people get ready for this time by having parties and going on vacations or just spending time with their family.

The last event I had planned was the Carol's by candlelight which would lead into the showing the Nativity movie. It was an outreach to the community with the concept of singing outside the church to draw people in. The posters I had my youth give out at the last weekend of November showed all the planned events for the Takanini Church.

One the day of the event the helpers never came. I arrived to set up early at 5:00pm for the event started at 6:00pm to 10:00pm. As the night comes around 8:30pm the idea was to have Takanini congregation singing out into the community and asking people to join us. As I arrived early and spent time with several people walking past each told me of a party they were going too.

6:45pm I had a church member show to help me. The audio speakers for the movie were going to be provided by another member which decided not to come. As 7:30pm rolled around no other member of the church showed but my mentor and his wife.

One step forward two steps back. Revealing that events come to a stop when the nation draws closer to Christmas and no support means no outreach.

However, in the time spent in all the events that have taken place it was still a good ratio. Disappointing, but still in ministry we continue and we reach out to the broken and lost. It was time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. The birth of our savior to a broken and sinful world. Even if there were but one person that one person will still celebrate his Lord's birth into the world.

As you read this please take with you that not all events go well. However, when there are two or more speaking of God His presence is with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment