Monday 7 January 2013

A Happy New Year of 2013 in New Zealand

On New Year's Eve I was invited to two places. The first was my mentor's place to celebrate the new year with him and his family and the second was with the Samoans at church from 10:00pm to 12:00am. Being I have not had time in a family unit lifestyle it was good to invest my time with my mentor.

It was good to see familiar faces arrive and speak about many topics. It showed to me how small the world is when one of the men who came had traveled through my home state...Pennsylvania in the United States. He had a short time in America and wanted to see the sights. He visited Hershey the Chocolate factory went to see the White house and many other locations on the East coast.

It was good to see my mentor's grandchildren once more and spend time with them. As the night drew closer and the clock turned first in New Zealand before the rest of the world. We celebrated the New Year together as fireworks shot into the sky.

I found it interesting to note that only three days of the year are fireworks allowed to be purchased. The most fireworks I saw since being here was for Guy Fawkes Day. When he failed to blow up Britain's Parliament in 1606 called the Gunpowder plot.

But it was a good event to celebrate with friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment